Thursday, December 13, 2012

Sugar Free Gums & Candies are DEADLY to Dogs

Now you may not have heard of xylitol but I'm sure there's some lurking in your purse, or kitchen pantry!



Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in many sugar free gum and candies.

AND IT IS TOXIC TO DOGS.


Symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, wobbliness (ataxia), liver failure and even death!

If you believe your dog has ingested something that could contain Xylitol contact your veterinarian or emergency clinic immediately.

If you find yourself in a situation where your pet has ingested something poisonous there is a hot line to contact...

Animal Poison Control Center

We are your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426-4435. A $65 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card.
(The above information can be found on their website here.)


In humans xylitol is absorbed and processed through the body, making it non toxic.

It is not yet known how other species are affected. It is thought to be toxic in rabbits and ferrets.

I thank you for reading my article on Xylitol! Check out my website everyday for a new post and a new video on my Youtube channel every Wednesday.

Please see my article on feeding dogs people food
SHARE:
© Faris Jaclyn I Littlest Pet Shop Photography

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig